This Walnut Zucchini Coconut Loaf recipe is loaded with walnuts, zucchini and coconuts, this loaf gets a five star rating as a family favourite. Moist and tasty, easy to make and no mixer needed, just a mixing spoon. This Zucchini loaf recipe accepts substitutions very well, such as, instead of using raisins, you can substitute them with currants or chocolate chips. Substitute coconut oil or melted butter instead of using the regular cooking oil.
For those of you who have a sweet tooth drizzle the Zucchini loaf with a mixture of icing sugar and lemon juice (recipe below) as thick or thin as you like it after the cake has cooled. Excellent recipe for making Zucchini muffins too. This zucchini recipe is denser and firmer in texture if compared to a delicate, fluffy chiffon cake, but it is moist and full of delicious ingredients.
Fun fact: The only reason this recipe is called Zucchini Loaf instead of Zucchini Cake is because it was baked in a loaf pan. This recipe can easily be baked in an 8” or 9” spring form pan also.
Walnut Zucchini Coconut Loaf
- 1 egg
- ½ cup cooking oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup coconut, unsweetened
- ½ cup walnuts or pecans
- ½ cup raisins
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix the egg, oil and sugar until well combined. Stir in the zucchini and lemon rind. In a second bowl, mix the remaining ingredients together, pour over wet ingredients and gently stir until all flour is moistened. Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan.Bake at 350°F for 60 minutes.Test for doneness until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Yield 1 loaf.Sprinkle with icing sugar.
lemon icing drizzle:
- Mix together 3/4 cup icing sugar and 2 tablespoons lemon juice, orange juice or your favourite rumStir while adding the lemon juice until preferred consistency is reached. Drizzle or spread over cake.
How to freeze a Zucchini Loaf ?
A zucchini loaf can be kept frozen up to three months. After 3 months the loaf will slowly loose taste and develop freezer burn.
Freezing a whole Zucchini Loaf
Completely cool the baked zucchini loaf on your counter and or in the fridge. Once cooled, wrap in freezer wrap, parchment paper or foil. Freeze.
Thawing a zucchini loaf
Thaw the loaf in the fridge or on the counter. Once thawed, the zucchini loaf can be eaten , however, if you like that fresh baked now feeling, then just bake in the oven at 325 for about 10-15 minutes or so, until the inside is well heated.
Freezing Zucchini Loaf Slices
Slice up the cooled Zucchini Loaf into serving sized slices. Freeze using a freezer bag or individually wrap in plastic wrap as a grab and go treat. A very tasty option is to heat slices in a toaster oven
Looking for something similar? try our delicious Carrot Cake or our amazing Butternut squash cake
This was so easy and delicious! Thanks!