Coconut lovers rejoice! This is a traditional coconut macaroon recipe, crispy on the outside and chewy in the middle.
For another yummy coconut treat try my chocolate macaroon bars.
- 3 egg whites
- ¾ cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- optional 1/2 cup maraschino cherries for decoration
- ½ cup white or dark chocolate chips
- Beat egg whites until light and fluffy, beat in sugar, salt, cornstarch and vanilla.
- Stir in coconut. Wet hands and make small balls or scoop out by a teaspoon and place 1 inch apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Push in a half piece of maraschino cherry into the center.
- Bake at 350°F for 12 – 15 minutes, just until light brown. For convection ovens drop temperature to 325°F.
- Melt chocolate chips in a microwave in 10 second intervals, stirring in between each interval. Drizzle melted chocolate over each cooled macaroon.
- Note: for a lighter and dryer cookie, bake at a lower temp then turn off oven and leave cookies in for another 5 minutes.