Brown bananas? Well I’ve got a recipe for that, you’ve got to try my banana and walnut cake. This recipe is very popular around here, and I’ll bet you’ll like it too.
And you can’t make this banana cake without making the banana frosting to go with it. This is an awesome way to deal with all those browning bananas. If you’re anything like me you hate to see good fruit go to waste. I freeze a lot of fruit when it’s getting beyond that ‘eat me fresh’ stage.
I find it kind of funny when searching the web for a recipe, everyone claims ‘this is the best’ or ‘the best ever’ or ‘Amazing’ or ‘fantastic recipe’ Ok, ok I’m guilty of this too, but it does peak your interest when someone claims they have the best recipe in the world, doesn’t it? Well I promise to just post recipes that I really love, just like I have up until now. And I will really try not to start my post with any of those catch phrases. So let’s move on to the reason you’re here, for this awesomely good banana cake recipe, wink wink;)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas 2-3 bananas
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- AMAZING BANANA FROSTING:
- ½ cup butter softened not melted
- ½ cup mashed banana about 1 banana
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla almond or rum extract
- 3-4 cups icing sugar
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, set aside. Cream sugar and butter until well blended, add vanilla, sour cream, mashed banana and eggs beating well between each addition.
- Grease and flour a loaf pan or a Bundt pan or a 13 x 9 cake pan. Spread batter evenly into pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 – 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- BANANA FROSTING directions:
- Cream butter, mashed banana, lemon juice, vanilla and 1 cup of the icing sugar, blend well and slowly add enough icing sugar until the desired consistency is reached. If frosting ends up being too stiff to spread over cake, just add a little orange juice or more lemon juice and mix in well.
- Makes enough frosting to fill and cover a single cake.