I used to make these sugar cookies when the kids were little, they loved to decorate them, even if it was just to throw some colored sprinkles on them.
And now that my daughter is a teenager she makes many of the deserts that we used to make together. She loves baking for her friends on their birthday. She’ll bake cookies or cupcakes and bring enough for the whole class. I guess the love of baking is in our genes.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- FOR DECORATION:
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- Water or lemon juice(thin to desired consistency for brushing on cookies)
- Colored sprinkles
- Mix dry ingredients together and set aside. Cream butter and gradually add sugar while beating until light and fluffy.
- Mix egg yolk, milk and vanilla, slowly add to creamed butter mixing well. Add dry ingedients a bit at a time. Chill 30 minutes.
- Roll dough while cold to 1/4 inch thickness on a lightly floured board. Cut out desired shapes, using your favorite cookie cutters.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Mix water or lemon juice and icing sugar, brush icing on cooled cookies and add colored sprinkles while icing is still wet.
- Have fun decorating!
* lemon juice adds more flavor to the cookies when used in the icing!