When it comes to taste, there is so much more flavor in grains like Spelt or Kamut flour. My husbands cousin introduced me to these wonderful tasty grains. I try to incorporate different grains into my baking whenever I have some available. These grains can be very expensive when compared to white flour, but there are some health benefits in using these grains.
These cookies should be baked until they are very lightly browned to bring out that delicious flavor in the grain and give them a nice texture.
This is a cookie press recipe.
Spelt Butter Cookies
Recipe type: cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or rum extract
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup finely ground almonds
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, mix in egg, add remaining ingredients and mix until well blended.
- Fill cookie press with cookie dough, and press out cookies onto parchment paper.
- Bake at 350°F for 12 – 15 minutes, or until barely browned.
*cookies can be iced by mixing, icing sugar with lemon juice, orange juice or water.
Put a cup of icing sugar in a bowl and add enough liquid to make a creamy icing.
Brush or drizzle icing on cookies.