This past weekend we went to a cranberry farm north of us, and I bought 4 pounds of fresh cranberries, 2 bottles of cranberry wine, cranberry/maple syrup, 12 bottles of concentrated cranberry juice and a cranberry candy apple for the way home. I like the tart burst of flavour when biting into a cranberry. I like to add them to my tea biscuits or any other treat that has fruit in it. They’re also good added to boxed turkey stuffing.
We picked the apples from a local orchard; they gave us a plastic bag that we had to pay for ahead of time, which holds 10 pounds for 10 dollars. I think I managed to shove a couple more pounds into that bag.
When I was making my apple pie, I threw in a couple handfuls of fresh cranberries. The cranberries not only added colour, but also a burst of extra flavour to my pie.
This is an amazing apple pie!
French Apple Cranberry Pie
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup butter
- ⅓ cup shortening or lard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-8 tablespoons Ice cold water
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash of salt
- 6 cups thinly sliced pared tart apples about 6
- 2 handfuls fresh or frozen and thawed cranberries
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- ½ cup brown sugar
- This is enough pastry for 2 deep dish pies. Save ½ of the pastry for another day or make 2 pies or use the extra for a top crust instead of the crumble.
- Using a pastry cutter; mix together flour, butter, shortening and salt into pea sized pieces. Sprinkle in enough ice cold water to form a ball. Work together by hand into 2 evenly sized disks, wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes, or until needed.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Prepare the pie crust and line pie plate with prepared crust, refrigerate crust until filling is mixed.
- Mix all ingredients for the crumb topping by rubbing the butter, flour and sugar into small chunks between fingers. Set aside.
- Mix sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt, mix in apple pieces.
- Fill pastry lined pie plate with half the apple mixture, toss in 2 handfuls cranberries, top with rest of apple mixture.
- Sprinkle the apple/cranberry filling with crumb Topping.
- Bake at 425°F for 50 minutes, until crust is brown and juices begin to bubble.
- Cover pie with aluminum foil during last 15 minutes of baking.