This is the easiest batter for onion rings. Similar to my batter for fish, although this has a wee bit of spice added to it. I used purple onions only because I still have a partial bushel of these onions left and I’m trying to use them up.
Sweet onions or spanish onions are ideal for this recipe.
Deep frying and safe cooking tips
- Never heat oil or shortening for deep frying in a pot on top of a burner.
- Use only a thermostatically-controlled deep fat fryer which is properly designed for safe cooking with oil.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for care and cleaning. The Office of the Fire Marshal and your local fire department urge you to use ONLY thermostatically controlled deep fat fryers.
See our tips for more deep frying and safe cooking tips.
- 2 Spanish onions
- ⅓ cup flour
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅓ teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup ice water
- Heat cooking oil in the deep fryer to 375°F.
- Slice onions into desired thickness then toss with ¼ cup cornstarch or flour. This helps batter stick to the onions better.
- Mix together all dry ingredients, mix in ice water until a pancake consistency is reached.
- Dip a few onion rings in batter and drop carefully into hot oil one at a time.
- Remove when golden brown, and drain on paper towel.
- Sprinkle with salt if needed.