A pear flan with thin, crisp, buttery shortcrust pastry is an ideal choice to finish any meal. Dust the flan with powdered sugar just before serving or top with whipping cream.
Not only tasty, but pears are an excellent source of fiber.
French Pear Flan
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- ⅜ cup or 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 ½ pounds of peeled and sliced pears
- 3 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- Powdered icing sugar for sprinkling when cool
- To make pastry: Using a pastry blender mix flour, salt, sugar and butter until crumbly. Add egg and knead with cool hands until well incorporated. Shape pastry into flattened ball and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 10 inch tart pan with removable bottom. Preheat oven to 425°F .
- Arrange sliced pears on top of the pastry. Pears should overlap each other.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons white granulated sugar over pears.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until edges of pears are slightly browned and crisp.
- Cool slightly, remove from pan and sprinkle with more icing sugar, and serve while still warm.