With the invention of oven ready noodles, making lasagne is easier than ever.
Regular lasagne noodles can also be used by either precooking or just use them dry and add a little more liquid in the casserole dish.
The regular lasagne noodles will expand and buckle in the dish, which really doesn’t matter.
- 375 g 1 pkg oven ready lasagne noodles
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ pound mozzarella cheese grated
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, brown onion, garlic and ground meat. Add spaghetti sauce and the 1 cup water, bring to a boil. In a large bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, egg, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Add parsley flakes and salt and pepper to taste.
- To Assemble: Spread a thin layer of hot spaghetti sauce mixture in bottom of a 5 quart casserole dish, preferably with a lid. Add a layer of lasagne noodles, slightly overlapping, break noodles to fit a curved dish, if needed.
- Spread ½ of cheese mixture over lasagne noodles.
- Layer more noodles over cheese.
- Use ½ of remaining meat sauce, and cover with final row of noodles.
- Add rest of cheese and top with remaining meat sauce.
- Cover and bake at 375°F for 40 minutes.
- Note: Meat sauce is used as the final layer so as not to overly brown the cheese and to be sure all noodles are well covered to prevent browned hard edges.
- · If using foil as a lid to bake, remove foil before storing in fridge. Foil reacts to tomato sauce turning it black.