Shepherds pie is one of the first things I learned to cook in my ‘home economics’ class in high school.
I’ve been making it ever since. The vegetables that I use are whatever I have on hand, fresh or frozen.
No salt or pepper is added to the meat because gravy is usually salty enough.
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup green or yellow beans, canned, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup gravy (canned or packaged)
- 4 cups hot mashed potatoes
- In a skillet, brown the ground meat and onions.
- Add carrots and beans, stir into ground meat mixture and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add gravy to meat mixture, cook additional 10 minutes.
- In a 1 ½ quart casserole dish put all the meat mixture on the bottom, and top with the mashed potatoes.
- Sprinkle potatoes with paprika and bake at 350°F for 20 – 25 minutes until potatoes are slightly browned on top.
- Note – other vegetables may be used instead of beans and carrots.