Who doesn’t have pumpkin on their mind? It’s everywhere right now. Tim Hortons have their pumpkin muffins for sale now, Starbucks has a pumpkin latte, pumpkins cover the ground in front of every farmers market and store. My kids are picking out designs to get their pumpkins carved for Halloween. So what more can I say except that pumpkin season is here!
Well here at my house we are carving up the pie pumpkins to make pumpkin pie, yummy!
For easy directions on how to use fresh pumpkin, go to my page Preparing a Pumpkin for Baking
You can find a no fail pie crust recipe here
(fills a 9” unbaked pie shell)
- 1 ¾ cup cooked pumpkin (canned or fresh)
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- 1 ½ cups milk or cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 – 9” Unbaked pie shell
- Mix all ingredients together, if using fresh pumpkin then purée the pumpkin first so that it becomes nice and smooth. If using a food processor pulse all the ingredients together until smooth.
- Pour mixture into an unbaked 9”pie shell. On lower rack of oven, bake at 450°F for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 300°F and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- If adding decorations on top of pie, wait about 15 minutes until the top firms up a bit then add pastry decorations, if added too early the decorations may sink into the filling.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.