I can’t believe I’ve been making this cake for so long and never shared it with my readers. The ricotta cheese adds a moist satisfying texture to this cake. Sometimes I make this with an orange and other times I use lemon, either way this lemon ricotta cheese cake is moist and delicious.
Another tip I should add, if you don’t have enough ricotta cheese you can substitute with some sour cream. Also, if your ricotta cheese is too watery, place some paper towels under the cheese and change often until most of the moisture is out of the cheese.
I also use this same recipe to make muffins, just bake for less time.
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup softened butter (not melted)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or rum
- 15 ounces ricotta (not light ricotta)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Mix the dry ingredients together, set aside. Beat the rest of the ingredients together for a couple minutes then while still beating slowly add the dry ingredients until its all mixed well together.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 35-40 min.
- When cake is slightly cooled drizzle with glaze.
- Stir the juice from the other half of the lemon and enough icing sugar to make a drizzling consistency. More lemon juice can be used if desired.