Also known as a Hazelnut Torte.
This is one of those cakes that rises with air. The careful folding in of the egg whites makes this cake rise beautifully.
The first time I made this cake it was a disaster. The person who gave me the recipe neglected to give me any direction about careful folding-in of the egg white. I thought they forgot about the baking powder or something, I was quite upset while scraping the lumpy flat mess out of my pan.
Well that was a long time ago, I think I have it perfected now.
I used a combination of whipping cream and Buttercream in my cake. For the recipe to my Hazelnut Buttercream follow this link.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 egg whole
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup ground hazelnuts
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Filling and Topping:
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/3 cup icing sugar
- 5 tablespoons Kirsch or rum
- ¼ cup raspberry or strawberry jam
- Grated chocolate
- Toasted hazelnuts, whole
- Beat egg yolks and whole egg on high speed of electric mixer until thick and lemon coloured. Gradually add ½ cup sugar, beat until very thick, about 7 minutes. Gently fold in the nuts and all-purpose flour.
- Beat the egg whites and 1/3 cup sugar till soft peaks form.
- Gently fold the stiff egg whites and the 1 tablespoon flour into yolks thoroughly and carefully.
- Turn into two greased 10” spring form pans.
- Bake at 275°F for 55 to 65 minutes or until cake shrinks slightly from sides of pan
- Remove pan ring and let cake cool.
- When cakes are completely cool, cut both in half with a very long bladed knife.
- Filling Directions:
- Beat whipping cream until very stiff. Halfway through add icing sugar and near end add 2 tablespoons kirsch or rum.
- Assembling cake:
- Mix jam and remaining kirsch together and spread on bottom layer of cake. Spread a generous layer of whipping cream on jam. Fill additional layers with whipping cream or butter cream. Assemble top layer and cover with remaining whipping cream.
- Decorate with hazelnuts and grate chocolate on top of cake.