This past weekend we went to a cranberry farm north of us, and I bought 4 pounds of fresh cranberries, 2 bottles of cranberry wine, cranberry/maple syrup, 12 bottles of concentrated cranberry juice and a cranberry candy apple for the way home. I like the tart burst of flavour when biting into a cranberry. I like to add them to my tea biscuits or any other treat that has fruit in it. They’re also good added to boxed turkey stuffing.
We picked the apples from an orchard; they gave us a plastic bag that we had to pay for ahead of time, which holds 10 pounds for 10 dollars. I think I managed to shove a couple more pounds into that bag.
When I was making my apple pie, I threw in a couple handfuls of fresh cranberries. The cranberries not only added colour, but also a burst of extra flavour to my pie.
This is an amazing apple pie!
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup shortening or lard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-8 tablespoons Ice cold water
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash of salt
- 6 cups thinly sliced pared tart apples ( about 6)
- 2 handfuls fresh or frozen and thawed cranberries
- Crumble Topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- ½ cup brown sugar
- This is enough pastry for 2 deep dish pies. Save ½ of the pastry for another day or make 2 pies or use the extra for a top crust instead of the crumble.
- Using a pastry cutter; mix together flour, butter, shortening and salt into pea sized pieces. Sprinkle in enough ice cold water to form a ball. Work together by hand into 2 evenly sized disks, wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes, or until needed.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Prepare the pie crust and line pie plate with prepared crust, refrigerate crust until filling is mixed.
- Mix all ingredients for the crumb topping by rubbing the butter, flour and sugar into small chunks between fingers. Set aside.
- Mix sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt, mix in apple pieces.
- Fill pastry lined pie plate with half the apple mixture, toss in 2 handfuls cranberries, top with rest of apple mixture.
- Sprinkle the apple/cranberry filling with crumb Topping.
- Bake at 425°F for 50 minutes, until crust is brown and juices begin to bubble.
- Cover pie with aluminum foil during last 15 minutes of baking.