My family is very fussy about cake, it needs to taste as good as it looks. My girls always request cheesecake for their Birthday and my husband asks for Hazelnut cake. The cake in the picture above is for my oldest girl.
The hint of lemon and orange rind adds a subtle citrus flavour to an already delectable cheesecake.
The cream cheese must be at room temperature for achieving that velvety smooth texture. Do not over-bake cheese cake as it will crack and become dry. It is better to under-bake cheesecake than to over-bake it. Cheesecake will continue to cook after oven is turned off.
- 2 cups graham wafer crumbs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 ½ pounds cream cheese
- 1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 5 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- Fresh or canned fruit, whipping cream
- Combine crumbs, sugar and butter. Press into bottom and sides of 10” spring form pan. Chill while preparing filling.
- Blend cream cheese, sugar, flour, grated rinds and vanilla in large mixer bowl at high speed. Beat in eggs and yolks, one at a time, beat until smooth, scraping bowl with spatula. Beat in whipping cream. Pour over crust.
- Bake at 500°F on bottom oven rack for 10 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 250°F and bake on middle oven rack for 60 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack. Serve at room temperature with your favourite topping.