The almonds can be ground in a coffee grinder, then lightly toast them. This recipe works with hazelnuts also.
The vanilla sugar that these are usually rolled in can be found in a German delicatessen, or icing sugar can also be used.
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 ¼ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cups ground toasted almonds
- Optional toppings:
- Vanilla Sugar
- Icing Sugar
- Melted Chocolate
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Blend in egg yolks and almond extract. Stir flour and almonds together then fold into butter mixture.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces and chill for 30 minutes. Roll out one piece of dough into a rope shape about 1 inch thick. Cut along the rope every 2 1/2 inches. Shape pieces into crescents by tapering ends and curving each. Place 1 inch apart on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350F 9-11 minutes, or until they are slightly golden in color.
- If using vanilla sugar as a topping, sprinkle heavily when still warm. Or use icing sugar instead.